PACKET: MAPS OF THE ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT STUDY GUIDE FOR HOMEWORK
PACKET: MAPS OF THE ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT
STUDY GUIDE FOR HOMEWORK
1. The forced dispersal of the Jews by the ___________ beginning in ___ CE is called the ___________.
The forced dispersal of the Palestinians by the _______ beginning in _____ is called the __________
(the event of being dispersed) or the ____________ (the continuing condition of living in dispersal).
2. The longstanding bias against Jews in the Western World is called anti-__________________. It is
erroneous – or, at the very least, problematical – to use this word as an accusation against Arabs, even
against individuals who are guilty of such bias, because they themselves are ____________ people.
3. This packet argues that the Palestinian-Israeli conflict was not caused primarily by ancient animosities
between Arabs and Jews living in their native land but rather by (1) European anti-______________
culminating in the __________________, (2) the diffusion into the Middle East of the modern European
concept of the nation-state, and (3) European diplomacy during World War I. Regarding the third point,
the problem involved the 1915 _____________ Letter in which Britain promised to support Arab
independence in exchange for Arab help in defeating the ______________(Turkish) Empire, a pledge
that Britain contradicted by its 1917 ______________ Declaration, which provided British support for
the establishment of a national home for the European ________ in _______________. In short, the
Israeli-Palestinian conflict did not originate in the Middle East; instead it came from ____________.
4. ____________ was the European movement that encouraged Jews to migrate to _______________
and worked to obtain the Balfour Declaration and ultimately the sovereign Jewish state of ___________.
5. The deliberate attempt by the Nazis to exterminate the entire Jewish population is most often called
the __________________. Another common term, especially among Jews, is the __________.
6A. In the 1967 war, Israel occupied four territories: the ________ (from Egypt), the __________
Heights (from Syria), the ________ _________ (from Egypt), and the ________ ________ (from
Jordan). At that time Israel also annexed Arab East _________________ and stated unequivocally that it
would forever remain united with Israeli West ________________ as the capital of Israel.
6B. The United States steadfastly refused to move its embassy here out of respect for competing
Palestinian (and, more broadly, Muslim) claims to the city and with the hope that our neutrality on this
sensitive issue would help us to broker a peace treaty between Israel and the Palestinians. So the US
kept its embassy in Tel Aviv. In 20__, however, President __________ moved it to ______________.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR CLASS
1. In what ways did people other than the Nazis contribute directly or indirectly to the Holocaust? Relate
this to Israel’s raison d’etre as a sovereign Jewish state and to the Israeli constitution.
2. Do you think that the UN’s 1947 partition plan for Palestine fair? Why or why not?
3. Why is it inaccurate to say that the Zionists establishing the state of Israel were totally responsible for
the demise of Palestine as a political entity? (i.e. Who else took what actions in 1948 and thereafter that
that precluded the establishment of an independent state of Palestine along side of Israel?)
4A. What was Israel’s main security threat (or who were its main armed adversaries) during the first part
of its modern history (from 1948 into the 1970s, a decade that ended with a major peace treaty between
Israel and the largest and most powerful of these armed adversaries)?
4B. Since then, what has been Israel’s main security threat and who have been the main armed
adversaries attacking Israel?
4C. What has Israel been building, and has now nearly completed, to deal with this threat? Why is its
5. In terms of their historical geography (i.e. the changes in where they have lived and who is in control
there), how are the Palestinians analogous to the Jews? …to American Indians or Native Americans?
The post PACKET: MAPS OF THE ISRAELI-PALESTINIAN CONFLICT STUDY GUIDE FOR HOMEWORK appeared first on mynursing homeworks.