Coursework – Network Design and Troubleshooting
Individual Written Report: Case Study Analysis
using CISCO PACKET TRACKER.
Module title: Network Design and Troubleshooting
Module Learning Outcomes Students who successfully complete this module will be able to:
1. Identify, analyse and communicate principles and processes of Network Design.
2. Critically analyse and evaluate business and technical Requirements.
3. Plan and design a Network Infrastructure (LAN/WAN/MAN).
4. Design and evaluate a management and implementation Strategy for a Network.
5. Collect and synthesise information to inform a choice of vendor solutions, with the module assignment providing a good opportunity to test this area.
6. Evaluate a range of information comparing alternative methods and techniques used in Network Design.
Be able to troubleshoot and maintain integrated, complex networks.
Learning outcomes assessed within this piece of work as agreed at the programme level meeting This assignment will assess the following learning outcomes:
1. Demonstrate a broad understanding of the knowledge base of this module, and its terminology and discourse
2. Evaluate network devices to be used for a particular area in the network in relation to requirement
3. Design and implement a fully functional network infrastructure based on requirement given in the assignment brief
Demonstrate autonomous learning context and draw on prior experiences reflecting and evaluating on new leaning outcome.
Type of assessment: 1. Individual Written Report: case study analysis and design using network simulation
2. Recommended maximum words (2000 words)
Assessment deadline: 3. Individual Report to be submitted on 20/07/2019 (before 2:00pm). This should be submitted via Turnitin on Moodle as a word-processed document file.
This is an individual assignment based on the case study scenario presented below. This assignment will assess your understanding of the principles of network design and the ability to analyse, design and create a network infrastructure fully configured and tested which reflects understanding of network design and troubleshooting.
As a network engineer you have been asked to design and implement a small network for one of your company clients (alm.co.uk), the network consists of 4 (four) departments.
The network consists of four Servers, web, email, dns, and common file server, all servers shared between all users. The distribution of workstation shown in table 1, describe the requirement of each department. The college admins decided to use wireless network for use by any student/staff using their own wireless device such as smartphone to access the internet.
Dept. Devices Access Rules
1 48 Computers one printer Users cannot access any other department
2 18 Computers one printer Users cannot access any other department
3 11 Computers one printer Users cannot access any other department
4 68 Computers one printer Users cannot access any other department
Table 1: workstation and server distribution and requirements
The IT director emphasised on scalability, availability and hence you are required to provide a complete network infrastructure design and implementation, the company will be using private IP address 192.168.168.0/24 within LAN, the company network availability, Scalability and security are very important. The wireless network IP address is 10.11.12.0/24
Analyse the requirements given in above scenario evaluating suitable network model and components to design a network infrastructure featuring scalability, availability and security.
Based on your analysis and evaluation you are required to apply the required configuration for the selected components, and finally, you are to discuss, evaluate and apply Network monitoring tools/components, and produce network test and documentation suitable for network maintenance.
All relevant network configuration, network diagram and device configuration tables, network simulation file must be included.
• Create a complete network diagram for the given scenario
• Create an appropriate subnet based on given network address.
• Create VLAN for each department.
• Justification of the use of network design model and components including any technologies/protocols used
• Provide complete security precaution and configuration where applicable including: Access control list to isolate each department internally.
• Complete testing documentation of all relevant devices such as web, email, DNS servers.
Assessment criteria / Marking scheme
Assessment Criteria Description
6 Introduction to the context and/or background to the topic, indicating the purpose of the report 10 Marks
4 The introduction includes some definitions of complex terminology or acronyms and indicating ideas in view of the conclusion of the report.
Knowledge and understanding Knowledge and understanding
6 Demonstrate effective approach to study and research including explanation and discussion of subject concepts, exploring functional and non-functional requirements of given assignment 10 Marks
4 Using relevant information paraphrased / interpreted from sound sources, summarising and making sense of information
Application and Analysis Applying knowledge and analysis
7 Discussion, examination and analysis of different network components, exploring the relationship between different components 15 Marks
5 Reasoning of device/components selection based on priori-knowledge, backed by evidence of research from sound sources
3 Discussion and analysis of different network models
Evaluation and judgement Evaluation of different components and network model
8 The judgment in selecting components shows understanding of issues based on evaluating and comparing different network components supported by literature 15 Marks
7 Evaluation of different technologies and/or protocols such as VLANs, Trunking, Access control, DHCP etc.
Design and Implementation Network implementation and design
10 A description and network diagram, summarising the network design, including implementation and configuration of all network components and protocol with evidence (please provide sample network configuration scripts only). 20 Marks
6 The plan accommodated the necessary devices and accounted for the unforeseen.
4 Evidence related to the work carried out in designing and implementation is apparent and demonstrate autonomy and independence.
Testing and documentation Testing and documentation
6 A well-defined document that reflect testing of given requirements, protocol, and selected components used. 10 Marks
4 Demonstrate and present network testing using appropriate technical language evidently related to the work carried
Presentation / reflection Presentation, document structure and reflection
6 The document is well styled using appropriate academic language, presenting information using many methods including graphs, text and diagrams where applicable 10 Marks
4 The report reflects autonomous and creativity including an insight reflection of learning supported by theory
Referencing Academic integrity and referencing
6 References are correctly presented to an appropriate academic style and relevant to the subject 10 Marks
4 References are from different sources (Books, journals, periodicals and technical reports) to support the discussion within the report, properly cited to relevant source of information
Assignment Preparation Guidelines
• All components of the assignment report must be word processed (hand written text or hand drawn diagrams are not acceptable), font size must be within the range of 11 point to 14 point including the headings, body text and any texts within diagrams.
• Standard and commonly used fonts such as Times New Roman, Arial or Calibri should be used
• All figures, graphs and tables must be numbered and labelled.
• Material from external sources must be properly refereed and cited within the text using the Harvard referencing system
• All components of the assignment (text, diagrams. code etc.) must be submitted in one word file, any other accompanied materials such as simulation file, code, etc. should be attached in appendices.
• The report should be logically structured, the core of the report may start by defining the problem / requirements, followed by the proposed solution including a detailed discussion, analysis and evaluation, leading to implementation and testing stage, finally a conclusion and/or personal reflection on learning.
• Screenshots without description / discussion does not constitute understanding
Plagiarism and Collusion
• Plagiarism: is when presenting somebody else’s work as your own, whether that work be an idea, graphs, figure, illustration or a pure text, be it available in web, textbooks reports or otherwise.
• Collusion: is when copying another student report (text, Figures, Illustration etc..) and submitting as your own.
• Plagiarism will be dealt with seriously and can lead to serious consequences and disciplinary procedure.
• Wholesale use of text and diagrams from websites considered plagiarism.
The post Written Report: Case Study Analysis using CISCO PACKET TRACKER appeared first on mynursinghomeworks.