Due Aug 23rd 7AM
In this assignment you will write a paper that examines issues related to ethics and diversity in education.
For this assignment, complete the following:
- Write a case study or scenario that describes a situation involving both ethical and multicultural issues or dilemmas that might be encountered in your specialization. This case study or scenario may reflect your own experiences or may be hypothetical. If the scenario is based on an actual situation, de-identify all components to protect the confidentiality of those involved, and alter details sufficiently so that the case is not identifiable.
- Analyze the case based on your specialization, clearly stating the issues involved and any dilemmas they present.
- Propose clear and direct steps to resolve the ethical issues in the case, providing a rationale for the solution you propose.
- Propose clear and direct steps to resolve the issues in the case related to diversity, providing a rationale for the solution you propose.
- Describe your own biases related to this case, and examine ways your biases may affect any resolution you propose.
- Examine ways to address your biases as you resolve the case.
Your paper should include the sections described below. Except for the introduction, each section must have its own heading as noted:
The case study or scenario is a summary of a situation that involved ethical and multicultural issues or dilemmas which tie to your specialization or program. This may be an actual experience you have experienced, or have created for the purposes of this assignment. If this is a real example from your professional experience, do not make any references to specific people nor places nor organizations. This may be an experience or a case which describes a problem, and provides a few details related to ethical and diversity – related issues and opportunities. The case itself should be 1–2 pages in length. Examples of such a case study or scenario are:
A school district is interested in adopting a new textbook series in social studies. A number of parents and teachers in the school district community have criticized the current textbook series as not reflecting diverse viewpoints representative of the communities served by the school. You are the lead in the District Social Studies Curriculum Review Committee. How can you help the committee consider the need to provide a curriculum that reflects diverse viewpoints?
The college faculty are interested in starting an event that would celebrate the cultures of the world which are represented in the current study body of their campus. A survey conducted by the Director of Diversity reflects opportunities for change in terms of including a faculty and staff which are more representative of the diverse student body served by your campus. You are the Director of Diversity for your college program. What would you suggest may be a way to begin the process of improving the diversity of the campus staff and faculty community?
A large urban school district has developed an open enrollment policy to which parents can apply to have their child attend a district outside of the immediate school in their neighborhood. A group of students are participating in the program, and are transported to your school by the district school bus. As the school’s vice principal, you receive a phone call from an angry parent who suggests that her child has recently complained about not being happy in attending your school. When you ask the paren why, the parent is very concerned that the child will not want to attend school and be at risk of dropping out. What can you do as the vice principal?
Your paper should meet the following requirements:
- The paper should be 3–5 pages in length, not including the title page and references page.
- Double-space and use 12-point, Times New Roman font.
- Include a title page with the following title: Ethics and Diversity in Education. Model your title page after the Writing Center’s example (see APA Guide: The Title Page, in the Resources).
- Follow current APA style and formatting for in-text citations.
- Set proper margin justifications: Left aligned text, 1-inch margins top, bottom, left, and right.
- Paginate your paper properly (in the header at the right page margin).
- Incorporate appropriate headings and subheadings.
- Note the APA Manual 6th edition (2010) instruction for the running head: Per section 8.03, “Use the automatic functions of your word-processing program to generate headers and page numbers for your file. (Do not type these manuscript page headers repeatedly in your word processing file)” (p. 230). “The running head is an abbreviated title that is printed at the top of the pages . . . should be a maximum of 50 characters, counting letters, punctuation, and spaces between words. It should appear flush left in all uppercase letters at the top of the title page and all subsequent pages” (p. 229).
- On the references page, include a minimum of five scholarly, peer-reviewed resources that are also cited in the paper, including at least three different scholarly journals for your field or specialization.
Submit your paper as an attachment in the assignment area.